STUDIES IN LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
The courses offer a broad range of texts, and students grow to appreciate a language’s complexity, wealth and subtleties in a variety of contexts. Students take their studies in a language in which they are academically competent.
The subject consists of three courses:
- Language A: literature, which is automatically available in 55 languages and, by special request, for any other that has sufficient written literature
- Language A: language and literature, which is available in 17 languages.
- Literature and performance, which is automatically available in English, and by special request in Spanish
Through each course, students are able to develop:
- a personal appreciation of language and literature
- critical-thinking skills in their interaction with a range of texts from different periods, styles, text-types and
- an understanding of the formal, stylistic and aesthetic qualities of texts
- strong powers of expression, both written and oral
- an appreciation of cultural differences in perspective
- an understanding of how language challenges and sustains ways of thinking
Through studies in language and literature, the DP aims to develop a student’s lifelong interest in language and literature, and a love for the richness of human expression.